28 hrs/week starting at the beginning of June for a period of 10 weeks with the possibility of extension pending additional funding.
Do you live in the Ottawa area?
Are you interested in environmental issues?
Do you want to work for Ottawa’s leading grassroots environmental organization?
Ecology Ottawa is looking for a Community Organizer to join a dynamic team for a ten-week position funded by Canada Summer Jobs. Reporting to the Climate Change Campaign Organizer, the overall goal of the Community Organizer is to enhance environmental protection at the local level in Ottawa through volunteer engagement and public education.
More specifically, the Community Organizer will:
- conduct public education on environmental issues, reflecting Ecology Ottawa’s initiatives on climate change, sustainable urban design, and protection of area greenspace and waterways;
- organize a team of volunteers taking part in air quality monitoring (which will all follow public health recommendations) in our Breathe Easy campaign;
- help manage volunteers involved in Ecology Ottawa’s various environmental initiatives;
- assist with data entry; and
- assist with organizing key events
This position involves immersion in the tools and techniques of grassroots organizing, volunteer management, data management and communications.
Work will mostly be remote; any in-person job requirements will follow our COVID-19 protocol for minimizing risk and will follow all public health safety recommendations.
Successful candidates will have some combination of the following:
- a passion for environmental issues;
- strong interpersonal skills;
- a relevant educational, work and/or volunteer background;
- attention to detail;
- strong oral and writing skills (French language skills are a major asset); and
- a good sense of humour.
This position requires 28 hours per week for 10 weeks. Applicants must be students who:
- are between 15 and 30 years of age;
- are Canadian citizens or permanent residents or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- are legally entitled to work in Canada, according to relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Ecology Ottawa is committed to a workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and intimidation where everyone can participate safely, freely, and confidently. We encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups.
Period: 28 hours per week for 10 weeks. Starts at the beginning of June.
To apply: If you are interested in working with Ottawa’s leading grassroots environmental organization, please send a cover letter outlining your motivation for applying along with your resume in one PDF document to [email protected] by Thursday 18th May. Only complete applications sent by email will be considered. No phone calls please. Applicants will be considered as they apply. We thank all those who apply, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For further information about Ecology Ottawa, please visit our website at ecologyottawa.ca.