YOUTH JOB OPPORTUNITIES WITH ECOLOGY OTTAWA FOR SUMMER 2022
About Ecology Ottawa
Ecology Ottawa is a volunteer-driven, not-for-profit organization that has been advocating since 2007 to make Ottawa a greener, smarter and more sustainable city. The organization has developed a solid reputation for mobilizing communities to take local action on a range of pressing environmental issues, including climate equity, renewable energy, trees and biodiversity, active transportation and air quality. Our small team of employees continually punch above their weight and are heavily supported by a very large and dedicated group of volunteers and supporters.
Ecology Ottawa is committed to employment equity and seeks diversity in our workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Ecology Ottawa is searching for four summer students to act as Outreach Coordinators and work alongside our staff who are working on three core programs: Active City, Living City and Renewable City. If you like organizing, talking with people, giving away trees and helping make Ottawa a greener city, then this job is for you!
Duration: Each job will be 35 hours/week for a period of 8 weeks.
Start dates: We are looking to start two students as soon as possible to work with our Tree Team, and two more students starting June 27th, 2022.
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
These positions are partially funded by Canada Summer Jobs, please see eligibility requirements below.
- Help organize and attend Ecology Ottawa’s tree giveaway events;
- Recruit and train volunteers to help with outreach and engagement;
- Help organize non-partisan debates around the upcoming municipal election;
- Create engaging social media posts related to your work;
- Conduct research as required by your supervisors;
- Data management from outreach events; and
- Develop an understanding of the key environment and justice issues in the City of Ottawa.
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period;
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Must have a personal computer you are willing to use for the duration of your contract.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Tree planting or landscaping experience;
- Knowledge about climate change;
- Experience coordinating or promoting events;
- Well-organized with excellent multi-tasking abilities;
- Experience or knowledge about engagement organizing;
- Experience managing volunteers and delegating responsibilities;
- Experience working on election campaigns;
- At ease with digital technology;
- Valid driver’s license an asset;
- Bilingualism, the ability to converse in both official languages.
Submit your CV, two references and a letter telling us what skills, experience and energy you will bring to the Ecology Ottawa team this summer via email to [email protected], with “Summer Jobs 2022” in the subject line. We will be conducting rolling interviews, so please get your applications in as early as possible! We will review applicants up until June 1, 2022. We thank all applicants for their submission, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.