Dear Ecology Ottawa supporters,
Despite just celebrating World Environment Day, a day conceived to promote environmental action, we are writing to you with growing concern for the future of Ottawa’s climate plan.
Across Canada, Covid- 19 is ravaging city budgets and threatening climate action funding. In Ottawa, where the climate budget is drawn from unstable funding, the landmark climate plan Energy Evolution is at risk. Only one year into Energy Evolution, the gap between the budget and the investment needs of climate change is already widening. If local political leaders aren’t held to account, we’re at risk of losing the hard-won climate progress we’ve made.
With a municipal election just over a year away, the need to be vigilant and politically active has never been more important. Today, we’re appealing to you and other environmentally conscious citizens to help finance the crucial work required to Protect the Plan. Your generous donation will:
• engage civic officials and monitor policy progress at city hall
• engage and mobilize the Ottawa community to deliver on ambitious climate targets
• mobilize volunteers and thousands of grassroots supporters for a pivotal election cycle
• organize community support for environmentally friendly candidates
• ensure participation in community consultations leading up to the fall budget
Would you consider a donation to protect and build on the climate headway we’ve made? As a people-powered not-for-profit, our success relies on the generosity and participation of the community.
Energy Evolution is the biggest opportunity Ottawa has ever had on climate change, at a time when ambitious action has never been more urgent. This means the need for Ottawans to demand better from City Hall has never been greater.
Thank you for your commitment to making Ottawa a greener city and for protecting the plan.
- Robb, Cheryl, Mike, Sana, Erik, Natasha, Jackie, Moyra and the entire Ecology Ottawa team
P.S. Would you consider joining our growing number of monthly donors who provide on-going support for vital programs to ensure Ottawa upholds its environmental commitments?