On Saturday November 22 Mountain Equipment Coop's SNOWFEST takes place and Ecology Ottawa has been invited to do a mini version of last February's event The Future of Snow and Skiing in a Warming World.
Here's who'll be there:
- Renée Bellehumeur - Gatineau Park Manager
- Stephan Gruber - IPCC contributor with expertise in mountain environments and glaciers
We've collected here a number of reports on how climate change is threatening winter sports. Some of those reports give global or national perspective but the National Capital Commission report gives a local perspective as does another report from the City of Ottawa that shows local snowfall has been reduced by more than half a meter annually, on average, from 80 or 100 years ago.
What can you do to save the winters you love?
- tell your politicians to make climate change a priority
- We've just had a municipal election - the new city council is more receptive to climate action - remind your city councillor to support the city's climate change plan and more.
- Expect a federal election in 2015 - tell those candidates too.
- The provincial government is in a majority and philosophically aligned with climate action, ask them to work with the city on this issue.
- Save energy and minimize your own carbon footprint.
- Divest from fossil fuels
- Support a group that's making climate change a priority