Volunteers are the driving force behind Ecology Ottawa
Ecology Ottawa is volunteer-driven. That means the work we do is only possible with the help of dedicated volunteers - like you!
We depend on volunteers to get the word out, organize events, research innovative solutions to urban environmental problems, and help with our database. Together, we can make a big difference: a small contribution of your time can go a long way!
Interested in getting involved?
Sign up for our Volunteer Mail List to be the first to know about opportunities to get involved! There are both remote and in-person opportunities available.
Keep an eye on your email inbox for information about upcoming volunteer orientations and events! You will be provided further details about the specific volunteer roles available and all the information you need to sign up.
Areas to get involved in
We have a variety of programs and events that need your support, including but not limited to:
Municipal Elections - Spreading the word on voting with the environment in mind and getting others to join the movement
- Volunteers are needed to help booth at different community events & for content creation:
- Share our petition defending our climate plan
- Engage with the community about this milestone election on October 24th, 2022
- Create communications (primarily social media) to help us with virtual outreach
Tree Giveaways - A program that distributes free native seedlings to Ottawa residents
Volunteers are needed to help organize tree giveaway events
- Connect with community partners and help green your neighbourhood
- Learn which species are native to the Ottawa region and the pros and cons of planting them
Volunteers are needed in-person at Tree Giveaways
- Meet like-minded people and have a great time distributing trees
- Help prep trees and materials for distribution
Join the translation team
- Volunteers are needed to translate various documents from English to French,
- weekly "blasts" sent to the mailing list and occasionally, "blasts" sent to specific audiences
- campaign and other materials to be put on the website, including general information and petitions
- articles on specific topics, called "blog posts"
- social media post material, where possible
- Volunteers will also be asked to do terminology research as they translate and to update a terminology glossary to assist in having consistency
Do you want to make a difference and help inspire community action?
- Help with background research
- Edit/format reports and policy documents
- Assist with coordinating events
- Assist with outreach and community engagement activities
To learn more about our three program areas, please visit the links below: