Ecology Ottawa is looking for a Climate Change Campaign Organizer. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Climate Change Campaign Organizer will provide support for Ecology Ottawa’s outreach campaigns on climate change.
Job posting: Climate Change Campaign Organizer. THIS POSTING IS CLOSED.
Ecology Ottawa is a local, not-for-profit, volunteer-driven environmental organization working to make Ottawa the green capital of Canada. We mobilize Ottawa residents who care about the environment and promote environmental leadership at city hall through our work advocating for our greenspace, water, sustainable transportation, and climate change actions.
Ecology Ottawa is looking for a Climate Change Campaign Organizer. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Climate Change Campaign Organizer will provide support for Ecology Ottawa’s outreach campaigns on climate change. This goal is pursued by:
- Maintaining and expanding Ecology Ottawa’s base of grassroots support through door-to-door outreach and community events (60% of time);
- Mobilizing supporters of Ecology Ottawa climate campaigns to take action at strategic moments;
- Processing, entering and updating supporter data into Ecology Ottawa’s database;
- Working with the Executive Director and community members to analyze and respond to climate-related policy developments;
- Creating and promoting campaign-related communications materials; and
- Providing support to staff for campaign-specific events and activities.
This position is for 40 hours/week. During the spring, summer and fall, the majority of this time includes outdoor work on evenings and weekends in targeted areas of the city. (Note: due to the ongoing COVID pandemic, we will only resume in-person engagement at the door and at events in accordance with Ottawa Public Health guidelines.)
Work will be remote until COVID-19 risk can be minimized, at the discretion of the Executive Director. Upon resumption to regular work arrangements, work will take place at Ecology Ottawa’s office at 1 Nicholas St., unit 430, Ottawa, Ontario. Remote work may be possible pending approval by the Executive Director.
Successful candidates will have the following:
- Demonstrated experience in political or community organizing;
- A passion for environmental and political advocacy;
- A strong understanding of the climate change policy file, especially as it applies to cities;
- Strong oral and written communications skills;
- Attention to detail; and
- Ability to work independently and meet targets.
The following qualifications are major assets:
- Working knowledge of NationBuilder or other CRMs;
- Understanding of data management procedures and best practices;
- French language skills;
- A valid driver’s license;
- Experience with grants and campaign-driven fundraising; and
- A good sense of humour.
If you are interested in working with Ottawa’s leading grassroots environmental organization and contributing to our efforts to make Ottawa the green capital of Canada, please send a cover letter outlining your motivation for applying along with your resume to: [email protected]. We thank all those who apply, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Compensation: $19 to $22/hour, depending on skill set and experience.
Period: 40 hours/week. Starts ASAP. This contract runs from January to December 2021, with the potential for extension pending funding.