Ottawa’s trees need your help!
It is so important to give young trees everything they need to ensure they grow up to be healthy and strong! All trees are vulnerable to threats including climate change, weather events, insects, and disease. A 2011 paper by Roman and Scatena found that the average street tree life expectancy is only 19-28 years.You can help change that!
By adopting a tree, you’re committing to help take care of that tree for a period of 3-5 years. This means:
- Watering your tree once a week in the summertime, and maybe more often if it is very dry
- Protecting your tree from damage by animals, cars, lawn mowers, and vandalism
- Weeding and mulching your tree as often as required
- Reporting your tree to the City (if applicable) for care if it becomes sick or damaged
Adopting a tree is easy, inexpensive, and will make a huge contribution to the quality of your neighbourhood’s tree canopy.
Adopt a tree using the Great Ecology Ottawa Tree Map
Do you know of a tree that needs adopting that isn’t listed on the map? Have you planted a tree recently that you would like to share? It’s easy to add your tree by following the steps below!1. Click "Add a tree"
2. Use the map and Street View to adjust the position of the tree marker if necessary
3. Enter the tree species and as many other details as you can
4. Select ‘Continue editing this tree’ and click ‘Done’
5. Scroll down to the Adopted field and change the status to ‘Adopted’
6. Enter as much additional detail about the tree as you can. When finished, it is very important to click the ‘Save’ button at the top
7. Congratulations, you’ve adopted a tree! Make sure to visit the Great Ecology Ottawa Tree Map from time to time to share updates on how your tree is doing